Back(B)log

January 16, 2009

The Indulgent Ascetic

      Holidays make a totally different person out of me. Every single time. Vacations are, well, different. Sometimes, I'm over the moon with joy during the holidays. Other times, I can't wait for college to reopen. But, this is the first time, I've had no time to do the things I wanted. Either I don't have time, or my friends can't seem to make the time. We have not managed to find a date when all of us are free so we can meet up. Which is why, we've been forced to find a day when most of us can make it. We recently went to the Zoo (That's where Hippobottomus resides). The Zoo, under normal circumstances would be a nice place. Somehow, it reminded me of one of those toadstool houses that Enid Blyton puts her fairy characters in. Only, when we visited the Zoo, it was half demolished (Apparently, Hippo is getting too big for her room. She'll kill me if she reads this post. I fervently hope Sparks has forgiven me for all my sins and she won't bring this to Hippo's attention) (Actually, we all know that's exactly what I want and I'm only writing it so that Sparks won't forget to bring it to Hippo's notice).
   Hehehe! I just imagined a hippopotamus standing at attention. Picture this: A really fat hippo with a whiskery chin and tiny, beady eyes; a belly that would put the good Frair Tuck to shame; thick flabby limbs and great yellow tusks that look like oversized rabbit teeth. Picture this character standing at a stiff attention. Hehe!
   Hippo's mom is one cool lady! I wish She was my friend. Her bro's okay too. Nice guy. The way she went on about him, I was expecting a real bucket of cold water.
     There you go! See where I started this post and see where I am now! Back to where I was.... Where was I? ... Oh yeah, holidays! This holidays has been relaxed at the best. Boring at the worst. I feel like a convalescent. Recuperating after a long bout of...I don't know, some strange disease (like the exams. If that isn't an epidemic, I'll change my name. Just for the record, my name at present is Rookie) ? Empty corridors remind me of sterile hospital wings. I feel like I've been quarantined. Contained. Like a dog that's been told to sit and stay.
     Holidays like this one bring out the ascetic in me. All I need are my basic necessities. Food, water, clothes, room, laptop. These, I keep to a bare minimum (Not the clothes!). My mind runs on a one track railway. That too narrow gauge. All I do is wonder when my next meal is, what songs to listen to, how boring it is to walk down the corridor to the filter and fill up my water bottle, when to sleep, and so on. Of course, there are other things I'm supposed to be doing during these holidays- like studying for the CAT exam, losing weight, visiting relatives and stuff like that. It really helps a lot that my conscience doesn't bother me much. Life is so simple. Who needs drugs to clear out things? All we need are more holidays!

No comments: