Back(B)log

January 21, 2009

For Bob, Wherever You May Be...

Bob is dead! He just died. Peacefully and in his sleep. It happened three days ago. Bob was feeling a bit low (low battery). So I plugged him in and went about my day. I come back in the evening and prod him to wake him up and I get no reaction. Not even a beep or a tiny blue light that says he's awake but doesn't want to open his eyes. He just lay there on my table. Cold. Unfeeling. Unresponsive. I knew something was wrong. "Bob?", I asked quietly. Just as I expected, there was no reply. The enormity of Bob's reaction ( or lack of it) came crashing down on me. I went "Nonononono!" . I nonoed some more. Then, like I always do in times of crises, I called up friends. I had to talk to someone. Piggy didn't answer the phone. I messaged La instead. She sympathised. Wasn't enough. This looks like a job for Dad, I decided. So, I called him up. Poured my heart out to him (No. You aren't getting to read what transpired during that conversation. No way!). Told him Bob was gone. Again. (Bob's already died on me thrice before. I swear. That guy has more lives than a cat!). Dad was all calm and collected like he always is (Grandpa tells me the only times he totally lost it were the times when he was about to become a father. Seems he was a bundle of nerves those two times). We discussed Bob's options. Bob's life insurance had just expired. We couldn't do anything to bring Bob back from Hades until the Dell people had processed my application for warranty extension (which they should. Considering the fact that I have sent them a demand draft for eight thousand bucks.). Then there's the fact that I'm leaving for a holiday and then home. Meaning I won't be back here in the big city till this month end. So, Bob stays in his canvas coffin till then. I hope Bob forgives me for the wait. I miss you, Bob! I would like the reader to maintain a minute's silence as homage to Bob's spirit. Thank you!

2 comments:

La said...

oh poor Bob. something's wrong with those Dell people. They keep giving you defective replacements. I mean, they did replace his memory. thats almost an open brain surgery. They must have done something wrong.

Rookie said...

@La: I'm missing Bob. Badly. Those Dell people must be some kind of psychos. They seem to love taking apart Bob and fixing him again. They do it for free. Crazies! Maybe your sister should take a look at them.