Back(B)log

April 23, 2013

An Encounter with Myself

Ever wonder what it would be like to be able to visit other timelines? Or just be able to go to other places/dimensions with the press of a button? Stuff they did on Quest World or inside the Matrix? Maybe I could deep freeze myself like Phil Fry in Futurama and wake up in 3013. "Welcome to the World of Tomorrow!", a booming voice would boom at me.

What if we could take it a step further and visit alternate universes? What if we could just side-step into a parallel universe? Maybe someone could come up with a portal device that serves as a time-machine - if you stepped forward or backward, you'd literally go back in time or back to the future - and as a inter-dimensional wormhole of sorts - side-step into an alternate reality. Only problem is the randomness and chance laws of the universe/multiverse system would probably mean your probability of getting back to where you started from reduces dramatically with every side-step you take. Now what wouldn't a traveling salesman give to be able to do that forever if we only had a multi-dimensional, multiversal credit system - a UniVisa or a MultiverseCard.

The best, coolest thing would be to meet yourself in different universes. You could organize an online Hangout with yourself, belay that, with yourselves! You could literally form your own football team. Every single team on the English Premier League could have the same line-up. Manchester United have Rooney? No problem, lets buy Rooney from another universe. Another cool thing would be that there would exist a parallel universe where politicians are incorruptible. No. I think I'm pushing my imagination here.

Politicians are scum wherever... My cellphone's ringing - let me get that. I pick up my phone and stare at the screen. The ringing continues. I stare. I stare because the screen is lit up with my portrait on it. It says in bright white letters, "Incoming call from" and below it is a very familiar name - my own! I begin trembling with excitement. My hand is shaking as I reach out to touch the screen with my thumb to push the slider back. I put the phone to my ear and say, "H-Hello?".

No comments: