Back(B)log

October 31, 2008

Mass Murderers Running Amok

Indians and english don't mix. Period. I'm not talking about the British Raj of old. Not of atrocities that happened when our granpappies were wee-bitty bawlers in cradles fashioned out of their mommies' saris. I'm talking about Indians today and english, the language. Don't mix. Like petrol on water. Or black coffee and mango chutney. Nope. They don't mix. Like I said. Period. What irritates me no end is the fact that people around us murder the poor language like they are all psychopaths on rampage and there's no tomorrow. Like, "From now on, I won't do it." , or "Shuttupping him is sooo problem!". Really, I ask you! I've heard that the Spanish are very emotive and articulate, but we take the cake! We tend to say stuff by translating word to word from some obscure regional language. Not even the so-called teachers we had were better off. Actually, they were worse. I'll be wheelchair-bound and breathing through an apparatus before I forget "gems" like- "Pick the paper, throw the dustbin." "Close the window, air force is coming in." "Vents in the earth's crust get unplugegged (un-pla-jhu-good) by hot air." "He talking, you talking, everybody talking once once only!" These pearls were said by some of my high school teachers. We crib for a closer world. Advances in communication has bridged gaps. People interact with others halfway across the earth on a regular basis. Certain bright people have propounded the importance of a universal language for this purpose. In terms of number of speakers, Mandarin and english top the charts. But, english speakers cover half the globe in terms of area (one of the few real good things to come out of colonisation), making it ideal for the purpose. But, brainless worms we have for our leaders here campaign for "upliftment of regional languages" which are dead outside their own states. They want regional languages to be medium of instruction in primary schools (imagine that! Brainwashing kids when they are at their most susceptible). Sadly, they have succeeded partially. Lucky thing every successive government nullifies all the rulings passed by the previous one. There's still hope. I have no problem with other languages (I'm proud to admit I can speak 5 regional languages passably well). It's only a problem when it is used by crazed fanatics as a shield against progress. Good progress. That can only bring good to the world. The big picture. The big picture looks nice only if all the little bits that make it up also look good. Well, I was lucky to have parents who literally covered me with books to read all the time. Man, I'm proud of them! But, not a lot of people are that lucky. I've seen enough incidents on TV where Indians, representing the country on the international stage, invariably stick their feet in their mouths. The situation won't change unless people take literacy more seriously with a long-term plan in mind. Not my place to nag people to do what I think should be done. My ideas are half-baked at best. And I don't wear a Charlie Chaplain mustache and a swastika armband. Heel Hitler!

7 comments:

MM said...

Oh my God. I have the very same pet peeve. The very same. It irks me no end. I call it Gormless Lady Type English and it frustrates me to the point of crying. Really. Please go to my blog and click the label titled "The Gormless Lady"- my Sanskrit teacher and a fine example of the Indian who doesnt mix with English. I almost died in the two years I had to attend her classes. And no one was bothered by it as much as I was. So Id just cry about it to myself in a corner. It was a horrific and trying time. *shudders*

I was smothered with books as a kid too. Thank God. And the parents.

Rookie said...

Gormless Lady is a title, I assume, for your Sanskrit teacher? I did sanskrit for 7 years. Didn't learn much. Got away by learning by rote.

MM said...

I would've too if it werent for la. She was always so good at it, she wouldnt let me get away with not understanding something.

Rookie said...

I know. La can be bugging sometimes. Do you know she was trying to explain to me the brilliance behind Raaga Bhairava today? I have absolutely nil musical education. It just went WAAAAY over my head. I had to try so hard to keep a straight face. She was all serious.Didn't have the heart to drop my mouth open and go "Huh?".

La said...

V, you exaggerrate. :D and its bhairavi. I'm surprised you remember its name actually. If i were as uninterested as you were I'd have not heard it at all.

and did I do all that MM? :) how nice of me! :D

Rookie said...

What's in a name?
A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

Rookie said...

Right! I'm sure Shakespeare didn't take marketing techniques into consideration. The brand name, is everything!